College library is running since the establishment of S. S. Girls’ College in the year 1970. The college has well established Library which caters the need of the Undergraduate and Post Graduate students, research scholars and the faculty.
The library functions on an open access system for the faculty members and the research scholars but the students have only a limited open access. The library has rich collection on science and Technology, Social Science, Management, Education, Physical education and Home science. It covers Books, Reference Books, Books, E-books, Journals, E- Journals, Theses, and Dissertation, Online Databases, and Reports, back holdings of Journals, Proceedings of Seminar, and conferences.
The college library has collection around 30,000 books and periodicals, journals, it subscribed 26 journals in various discipline.The Library reading Facilities are open every day for use from 8.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. on all working days. during vacations the timings are from 10.30a.m.to 5.30 p.m.
The library is administered by college librarian Ms. Rajashree D. Wagh with the assistance of four library attendant and one supporting staff the library advisory committee is there for policy making, with the Honorable principal as its’ chair person and Librarian as its’ Secretary.
Library Advisory Committee
The Library Committee plays a vital role in enhancing and developing the library services, making suitable policies that will help the library to render its best. The committee holds four meetings every year. If required more meetings are also held.
Generally the first meeting is held in the month of August, in which Library Budget, allotment of funds to all the departments, previous year’s stock taking report and other issues related to library and its services are taken up with the permission of the chairperson of the library committee for discussion.
Library committee constituted with chairperson, Secretary, Members from teaching faculty and students Representative.
Aims and objectives:
- To consider and put forward the views of faculty members regarding books/journals selection, ordering process etc.
- To consider and put forward the views of students and Research Scholars regarding their problems and solutions sought thereof.
- To strengthen the efforts of the librarian in planning library activities and
- To take the feedback from the departments and plan for improvement and Enrichment of the library.
- To act as liaison between the library and the readers
- To give development proposals for the library
- To take policy decision
- To provide directions for structural and balance growth of the library.
- T ensure updating of the library
- To suggest improved facilities and innovative services
- To utilize allocated funds for library developments
- To introduce development programme as per requirement of the users.
At present following are the members of Library Advisory Committee
Dr. N. K Bahekar Principal
Dr. R. S. Lilhare (Nagpure) Member
Dr. J. D. Punde IQAC Coordinator & Member
Ms. Rajashree D. Wagh Librarian & Member
Dr. Lakhan R. Gaidhane Member
Mr. Dinesh Mouje Member (Non-teaching Staff)
- S. Girls’ College having a well furnisher and well equipped library. Having most renowned collection on various subjects. Collections are developed by Decision of Library advisory committee, librarian and library staff by buying or otherwise acquiring materials over a period, based on assessment of the information needs of the library’s users.
- Total Collection :- 30327 (upto 2016)
- News Papers :- 28
- Magazines :- 45
- Journals :- 26
- N-LIST : 6000 + e -journals and 97000 + e -books
General Rules :
- Every Student entering the Library Premises should have a valid college identity card. It should be produced as and when demanded.
- Identity card and Reader’s Ticket are non-transferable.
- Students must handle books, periodicals, Newspapers etc. with great care, any attempt to damage books or Periodicals, by defacing or tearing the pages will treated as serious misconduct and strictly dealt with.
- The Computer Terminal provided for students to search and requisition of books shall be used with utmost care.
- If the Original identity card or Reader’s Ticket is lost a duplicate will be issued from administrative block.
- A complete silence and strict discipline should be maintained in the library and Reading room.
- If any reference book is required, student should approach the librarian.
- Enter your name and Sign in the register kept at the entrance counter before entering library
- (For students – Daily attendance register and For Teaching staff, Non-teaching staff, Visitors – Visitors register)
- Refreshment of any kind shall not be taken anywhere in the library premises
LATE FEE (Over Due) –
- In case of late return of books students will have to pay fine at the rate of Rs.1/- per day on each book
- Books will be issued to the students for 15 days only. In the first page slip is pasted and stamped mentioning the due date and the fine will be charged @ Re.1 per day per book from the due date till the book is returned to library.
- While charging the fine holidays will be counted.
- Re-issue of the books will depend upon the demand for the same.
- No late fee will be charged to teacher, staff in the college.
- All cases of disregard of these rules will be reported to the principal for appropriate action.
Note: (These rules however, shall not apply to books issued to the authorities, officers of the college for official purpose.)
Damage & Book Loss
If the books are lost, Then the borrower shall replace the books of the same edition or latest edition or pay double cost of the book after getting permission from the librarian.
Reader shall not write upon, damage, tear off the leaves or make any mark either in pencil or ink upon any book.
Books will be issued on presentation of the college I card. Students are instructed to check the books while borrowing and they will be responsible for any type of damage or mutilation noticed at the time of return.
It shall be the duty of the Library Attendant on duty at the counter to examine each book returned by a member and to check if it is damage.
The following persons shall be entitled to borrow
1) Members of the Gondia Education Society.
2) Officers, Members from college authorities
3) Teaching Staff of Degree College and Junior college, Guests lecturers.
4) Teachers, Librarians of the colleges which come under the GES.
5) Supporting Staff and Non- Teaching staff of the college
6) Students, Post Graduate students, studying in college in various departments.
B) Terms & Conditions
(i) The duration of membership shall be for one year and shall have to be renewed every year.
(ii) Any change of address should be notified to the librarian during the membership.
iii) WAMA students avail the facility of Casual Membership; they need to pay 500 Rs. per year to become casual Member of College Library.
1) COMPUTERIZED CIRCULATION SECTION: A modern library cannot be imagined without the application of computers. In the library and information centers computers can be used for performing efficiently all sorts of jobs from the procurement of the reading materials to their organization and use. So, it can serve as a remedy for all the existing problems of libraries and information centers. But, till now computers have been used successfully in the following areas of library activities.
Library House Keeping Operation: In case of library house keeping operation, the computer is used for acquisition of books and other reading materials, their classification, cataloguing, circulation and serial control.
The Circulation Section is the backbone of the Library. Circulation Section has introduced computerized system for proper record keeping. Library issue – return is fully computerized with the help of Library
Software LIBMAN (Library Management Software from Nagpur)
Computerized Issue –return facility is available for books,
Magazines and journals for students, teaching faculty, non -Teaching staff etc. The circulation section consists of two computers with scanners for issue, return and renewal of books. All the library transactions are computerized; enquiries regarding availability of books are made in the circulation.
2) REFERENCE SERVICES:
The term reference service, in general may be defined as an active personal service, providing active assistance and instructions to users for promoting the use of library resources answering user’s request for new information, compiling catalogue, and bibliographies etc. on topic of research. Library users can consult with librarian in finding information.
3) NEWS PAPER CLIPPING SERVICE:
In college library news paper clipping services is provides for the all in college. This service is limited to college only. Because for this the manual news paper clipping album is maintained by college library. In which all the news which published in various local, state level newspapers are pasted on news album. These all news is preserved in the digital form for the future need. These all news clipping are provided to required person as per their need.
This news clipping services provided news as per the annual academic calendar programme, events organized by college and various departments, cultural activities (state, national level), sports, seminars, conferences, events organized by library etc…
Newspaper cuttings of academic related matters, job opportunities and job advertisements are collected periodically and displayed in the Display notice board. News for upcoming seminars, conferences are also display.
4) Reprographic service:
The College Library has one Reprographic unit. Library provides this facility to all staff & students in the college. Students should pay 1 Rs. for one copy. All teaching staff also needs to pay 1 RS. per copy for their personal work. Reprographic work is related to college and department they need to come with note written by principal. Reprographic unit is handled by trained supporting staff of library.
5) OPEN ACCESS System:
The college library has open access for the teaching staff, Non-teaching staff, Post Graduate Students and supporting staff. But for all undergraduate students library is following close access system for the security purpose. Postgraduate students taking the benefits of open access system, they can enter in the stack room and search reading materials which they required. Students should give their ID card to library staff while entering the library stack room.
6) OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue):
An online public access catalog (often abbreviated as OPAC or simply library catalog) is an online database of materials held by a library or group of libraries. Users search a library catalog principally to locate books and other material available at a library.
All the library transactions are computerized and On-Line Public Access Catalogue has been introduced. Users can search the books details via author wise search, title wise search, subject wise search, and how many copies are available in a particular title and who has taken the books and when it will be returned.
OPAC this service is provided to all teaching staff and students to know better about the library collection. This service is provided through the library software LIBMAN (Library Management software) developed by Master Software, Nagpur.
To avail this facility, five computer systems are kept in reading room for students and staff members, each computer having the OPAC. In future S.S. Girls’ College Library will provide WEB – OPAC for their students by which they can access library collection from where they want.
7) Internet surfing:
College library is providing “Internet surfing” facility to Teaching staff and students free of cost for their educational point of view. For Internet Surfing Five systems are kept in reading room with broadband connectivity. To avail this facility student’s needed to keep their ID card at reception counter of library reading room and they should sign in Daily Attendance Register.
All teaching Staff (Degree and Junior) needs to sign in Visitor’s Register before using the Internet facility. ) E-Mail & Internet services shall be provided for academic purposes only.
8) E – journals & E- books (N-LIST):
(Screen shot of N-LIST home page)
College library is become member of INFLIBNET programme N-LIST (PACKAGE OF E-JOURNAL & E-BOOKS) SINCE 2011. As an authorized user from colleges registered under NLIST programme,
will have an access for the e-resources (6000+ e-journals and 97000+ e-books.
College library provide access to e-journal and e-books through five computer system in reading room.
Background of N-LIST :
The Project entitled “National Library and Information Services Infrastructure for Scholarly Content (N-LIST)”, being jointly executed by the UGC-INFONET Digital Library Consortium, INFLIBNET Centre and the INDEST-AICTE Consortium, IIT Delhi provides for i) cross-subscription to e-resources subscribed by the two Consortia, i.e. subscription to INDEST-AICTE resources for universities and UGCINFONET resources for technical institutions; and ii) access to selected e-resources to colleges. The N-LIST project provides access to e-resources to students, researchers and faculty from colleges and other beneficiary institutions through server(s) installed at the INFLIBNET Centre. The authorized users from colleges can now access e-resources and download articles required by them directly from the publisher’s website once they are duly authenticated as authorized users through servers deployed at the INFLIBNET Centre.
Librarian’s Day / Library day:
LIBRARIAN’S Day is celebrated in the memory of Dr. S. R. Ranganathan on his birth day 12th August.
A librarian is a person who works professionally in a library, and is usually trained in librarianship. The role of a librarian is continuously evolving to meet social and technological needs. However, a modern librarian may deal with information in many formats, including books, magazines, newspapers, audio recordings (both musical and spoken-word), video recordings, maps, photographs and other graphic material, bibliographic databases, web searching, and digital resources. A librarian may provide other information services, including computer provision and training, coordination of public programs, basic literacy education, and assistive equipment for people with disabilities, and help with finding and using community resources.
S.S.Girls’ college library every year celebrate the Librarians’ day in the memory of Dr. S.R.Ranganathan and all librarians who are striving hard to fulfill their duties.
S. S. Girls’ College Library has organized Book Exhibition in the year 2012-2013 on dated 27th – 28th January, in library reading room. In that exhibition Book Distributors are invited such as Prakash library Suppliers from Amravati, Satyam Publisher from Jaipur, Vidya Publication from Nagpur, Ukey Bandhu book Distributors From Gondia etc. They were come with lots of variety of books, Reference books and other reading materials on various subjects and syllabus.
Inauguration function was taken place in college room no. 112. Inaugurator was Prof. R. B. Jatkar, Retired Librarian, Badnera Engineering College, and Amravati. And Chairperson was honorable Principal Dr.N.K. Bahekar, all library committee members were present with all the teaching staff and student takes actively participation. (Find Picture of Inauguration & actual Book Fair in Photo Gallery)
Exhibition of Magazines cum sale:
College library was organized every year “Exhibition of Magazines cum sale” for old stock clearance. In this exhibition of magazine , reading material were sold out on 60% discount. Purpose behind this event is that the magazine’s articles, photos are useful to students for their project preparation, seminar preparation and for other art especially for Home Science faculty, B.F.D. Faculty and Arts faculty. Every year these events get lots of response. Every year students eagerly waiting for this event. (See the picture in Photo gallery year wise.)
Faculty Improvement Programme/ Information Literacy Training Programme:
Every year College Library is organized Faculty Improvement programme for teaching Staff, Non teaching staff and for Student.
It is helpful to them to improve their knowledge in Information Technology and cope up with the IT world. Under this programme various workshop is organized for staff members, students also. Library department was organized workshop on “Use of Scanner & scanning Devices” under the Faculty improvement Programme dated 26th April 2014.It was organized for faculty members and office staff at library reading room
Each and every year College library used to run “Mobile Library”(Books on Wheel)
At NSS camp for villagers. This event was running successfully since 2010.library department successfully organized mobile library for Villagers for 07days during N.S.S. Camp.
In this library we used to keep different types of reading materials for ex. Books,Novels, poems, stories, magazines, competitive magazines etc. Main purpose behind this programme is that to improve reading habits of Villagers and tell them importance of Library.(find the pictures in photo gallery)